Friday, March 16, 2007

I3 - On Shviel Israel

The last couple of weeks on the settlement in Sharachut were truly amazing. I worked odd jobs in exhange for free food and lodging and had the opportunity to meet a bunch of really neat people from a variety of backgrounds. It was located an hour north of Eilat in the Negev Desert in the middle of nowhere! Everyday, I woke up with the sunrise and I went to bed shortly after the moonrise. Both occured over the commanding mountains in Jordan and I could see down the valley all the way south to Acaba and the Red Sea. The owner of the settlement was Yonatan and he was a true inspiration to me and how I can lead my life. A guy named Nir was my closest friend there and we had many interesting conversations that I am still thinking about two weeks later. Amir was the first guy I met there and his positive spirit and outlook on life was refreshing to say the least. Leron was the only female there and she taught me a bit of the flute and I helped her with the housekeeping duties there. Robert, originally from Romania, was hard of hearing at such a young age, but he was extremely friendly and spoke English very well, despite his lack of confidence. And Dotan, although quiet by nature, taught me the beauty of silence. Maybe we all do talk to much.

All the buildings at Sherachut were made of recycled materials. And I don't mean like aluminum cans that went through a processing plant. I mean like they went to dumps and scavenged wood and made mud and the houses, although they sound crappy, were extremely cozy. Why work, save money, and hire someone to design and build your house when you can just do everything yourself? Really, it's not that difficult.

Anyway, my days at Sherachut are over and now I'm on the road. Literally, on the Israel National Trail known locally as Shviel Israel or Hoze Israel. I am one of the few tourists to do it. My group is made up of 6 peers (all Israeli) but who speak almost perfect English. They are great people and are well prepared for this trip. I'm just taggin along and filling in where I can. Unfortunately we are delayed a couple of days because a storm is passing through, but we will be back on the road tomorrow. The entire trek should take nearly 7 weeks to complete which is nice. I leave back for the US on May3, which is exactly 6.5 weeks from now. If I don't finish the trail, I can always come back here one day and finish.

Purim was a couple of weeks ago and I spent it in Be'er Sheva with my friends Tal's (Israeli soldier) family and Yoni (from Long Beach whom I met on Birthright). I believe I'm the last person in my Birthright group to still be in Israel. One girl Anna is still in the Middle East (she's in Turkey), but I think I'm the only one staying here. I was originially going to try to get to Jordan or Turkey, but I don't think it's gonna happen this time due to lack of time and money. I'm not stressing though because I am very happy here.

I have had thoughts of making Aliyah here to Israel (moving here). No plans to in the immediate future, but it is a seed that has been planted. I will continue to toss the idea around in my mind for a few years to come. The people are so nice, the communites are very safe, and almost everyone has a very global outlook on life. I do have some minor objections to some things, but I think everywhere has some drawbacks.

I'm in Haifa right now at my friend Erz's place. His family is real nice. He currently lives with his mom and dad and his little brother who is 21. Sounds similar to the Myerson family. I'm actually thinking about moving back in with my parents for the summer. After having such a trip, I think I'm going to need some family support when I get back! I feel like my mind, body, and sould are hardly recognizable. Many of my priorities have been reajusted and I have some big goals for when I return.

I have some new loves that I have picked up here. Humus is the main one. I have never had it like it is here and a bowl of homemade humus with some freshly made pita is like heaven in my mouth. I recently made a purchase of a nagila (hookah) which is really cool too. I picked it up in the Old City of Yafo with Keren. She got one too the last time we hung out.

That's about it. I'm not sure when the next time I'll be able to do a blog, since I'm now on the Shviel and I'm not sure when I'll be able to post more photos since I don't even have my laptop at the moment because I stored it at Tal's place in Metar. My backpack is very light right now since I'll be hauling it everyday for the next 6 weeks.

I hope all is well in SF and everywhere else. I gotta say, I don't miss life there that much. Maybe it's because I'm having such an amazing time here. I do miss my close friendships back at home, but I'm not too worried because I feel like the people who really care about me the most will be there when I get back. And everyone else... well, I'm sure they are fine too. =)

No comments: